Sunday, April 21, 2013

Earth Day Activities

We will be celebrating Earth Day with activities throughout next week. 

Two of my Earth Day library finds:


Kids Can Recycle by Cecilia Minden, PhD


Kids Can Keep Water Clean by Cecilia Minden, PhD

Both books have large, colorful photographs. The print is large and at a reading level appropriate for most of the students in my class. 


I created Earth Day Writing Packet {Freebie} to go along with our Earth Day reading and discussions.

Click on the picture to download {free}.

Our first graders have an Earth Day project for homework this week. They will create either a craft or  something useful from a recyclable. I posted some of last year's projects. We set all the first grade projects up in our multipurpose room and invite the classes and parents to view the projects. It's fun to see all the creative ideas. I'll share this year's projects after Friday.

This is the letter to our parents.


We send home a page of pictures and links for ideas.




The children write about their project, too.


Click HERE to download the printables.

Earth Day themed math activities will also be part of our week.


Earth Day Math Centers First Grade includes 6 math centers with an Earth Day/Environment theme.


I'd love to hear about the activities you have planned for Earth Day.

Happy Earth Day!

4 comments:

  1. That's a great idea. Love the home/school connection. I'm pinning this for next year. Thanks!

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my good. I'm just in love with this idea. It's so complete. I'm totally adapting this idea for my school. Thank you soo much and congratulations. >< Ana Bertozzi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love the recycle project! Did you post or sell the project printable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Criston! I'm glad you like the project. I just posted images of it, but I'll upload the documents we use tomorrow.
      Mona

      Delete